Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Bili Bed for Jack

When we left the hospital on Saturday we were told Jack's Biliruben levels were high and the pediatrician wanted to see us Monday for a follow up.  High Biliruben levels are the cause of jaundice and happens when the liver isn't breaking down red blood cells fast enough because it isn't mature yet.

Jack had to get a heal stick for the blood test.  The heal stick didn't phase Jack a bit.  I bawled enough for the both of us.

Unfortunately, his bili levels were higher on Monday then they were Saturday and Jack has to sleep in a bili bed.  It looks like a baby tanning bed and has a horrible square paper gown with arms that Velcros Jack to the bed.
 Dad, Grandma Gesie, and Mom have been taking turns camping out on the floor next to Jack.

He tolerates the bed pretty well.  Better than I do.  It's horrible.  I hate the bed, I hate the hospice nurse that comes every day to do a heal stick to check Jack's bili level, I hate the guy who delivered the bed, and most of all; I hate the Dr. for telling me he needs to spend "as much time as possible" in it.  I understand the more time he spends in it, the quicker we'll be done with this thing, but COME ON!!!  How do you expect a new mother to not hold her newborn son, but instead to strap him to a bed, only taking him out to nurse him?

We came up with a small compromise.  I can give him a couple 15 minute sun bathes a day.
I despise the bed, and can't wait to get rid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment